- Even with positive economic developments, still large sector of people struggle to get good education due to their weak financial situation.
- Though the middle class has gained from recent positive economic developments, India suffers from substantial poverty. According to World Bank’s latest estimates on poverty based on 2005 data, India has 456 million people, 41.6% of its population, living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day. The World Bank further estimates that 33% of the global poor now reside in India. (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
- We are helping the economically backward school & college students to pay their fees for education. Criterion for selecting the students and deciding the amount of scholarship are as follows:
- Number of members / earning members in the family.
- Number of children studying in the family.
- Total annual income of the family.
- Are father / mother critically ill?
- Is the student physically challenged?
- Academic performance of the student in the previous exam.
- We assign members of our trust as mentors for the students to guide them in their studies. Apart from the monetary help, we help them in improving their communication skills and clarifying their subject doubts. We ensure that these students attend our PDC.
- Scholarship distribution function was held at Thiruvalluvar Arts and Science College, Kurinjipadi, Cuddalore district on 13th Feb 2016. Team Nanmai provided scholarship cheques to the economically backward students studying in the college.
Education Support – 2018
Books and Scholarship Distribution
- Books and scholarship distribution function of Nanmai was held on 7th Jan at Shakespeare Matric School, Vadapalani.
- Mr. Ramesh Kanna, Advocate Madras High Court and Mr.Subramaniyan, Correspondent of Shakespeare School presided over the function.
- Books were loaned to Engineering students.
- Scholarship cheques were provided to Arts and Science students.
- Cheque for monthly grocery expenses to Agadeeba Oli visually challenged home was provided.
- Volunteers who made remarkable contribution in our last year blood donation camp were felicitated with mementos.
Education Support – 2017
- Scholarship was given to 11 economically backward students from Loyola college, Metalla, Namakkal district and 7 economically backward students from Muthayammal Arts and Science college, Rasipuram.
- Function was held at Loyola college, Metalla, Namakkal district and Sankar of our team provided the scholarship cheques to the students.
- Total scholarship amount is Rs. 77,000.
Desk and bench distribution
- We provided desk bench set (9 #s) to Govt High School in Ayyanaroothu, Kovilpatti Taluk, Thoothukudi district.
- There is no desk bench in this school for any of the class rooms. Desk bench provided by us will be used in X std class room.
- Scholarship distribution function was conducted at Muthayammal College, Rasipuram, Namakkal district.
- Total Scholarship amount of 54K was provided to 10 economically backward and single parent students.
- Sankar from our team went to the college to provide the scholarship cheques and had one-on-one session with the students. As per our process, mentors from Nanmai have been assigned to the students who will be in constant touch with the students tracking their progress.
- With the support of our donors, we have got enough fund for phase I of our uniform distribution program for Govt. School students in rural areas.
- Totally we have covered 600 students in this phase and we have started distributing the uniforms from last week.
Notebooks and Dictionary distribution
- A total of 25,000 notebooks were distributed to 4000 students in 15 districts in the month of June 2016. The notebooks were distributed to 10th and 12th standard students belonging to Government schools from Salem, Perambalur, Trichy, Ariyalur, Karur, Tiruppur, Erode, Dharmapuri, Krishnagiri, Coimbatore, Vellore, Cuddalore, Thiruvannamalai, Thiruvallur and Chennai.
- Dictionaries were distributed to 27 students in Government school in Andippatti, Chengam in the month of Jan 2017.
- We have provided notebooks to 950 students in 8 districts on 24th and 25th July 2017.
- The notebooks were distributed to Government schools from the districts Dindigul, Krishnagiri and Coimbatore.
- In the month of Feb 2015, Ramalinga Adigalar Gurukulam, Kovilambakkam received two used desktops from TCS as part of the company’s computer donation scheme.
- Govt. School in Chettiapatti village of Dindigul district was upgraded to Higher secondary two years back and the school did not have the required apparatus in the Physics lab. Team Nanmai provided all the required apparatus which will be of huge help to the students appearing for XII Std board exam.
- Writing kit containing a Pen, pencil and scale were provided to 85 students appearing for X Std board exam in Govt. school in Andipatti, Chengam.
- Mini library were setup in Government school in Vembar,Thoothukudi in the month of Jan 2017.
- 62 students benefited from this year’s scholarship program. The students belong to the following colleges.
- Sri Sakthi Kailash College of Arts and Science, Salem.
- Paavendhar College of Arts and Science, Manivizhundan, Attur.
- Pioneer College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore.
- Saraswathy College of Arts and Science, Tindivanam.
- Jaya College of Arts and Science, Thiruvallur.
- R.B.Gothi Jain College for Women, Thiruvallur.
- Thiruvalluvar College of Arts and Science, Cuddalore.
- Aries College of Arts and Science, Cuddalore.
- We have distributed school uniforms to 800 students from various Government schools across Tamil Nadu.
- Uniforms were also provided to 33 students in Ramalinga Adigalar Gurukulam, Kovilambakkam.
Education Support – 2016
Books and Notebooks distribution
- A total of 14,000 notebooks were distributed to 1700 students in 10 districts in the month of June 2015. The notebooks were distributed to 10th and 12th standard students belonging to government schools from the districts Salem, Perambalur, Trichy, Krishnagiri, Coimbatore, Kallakurichi, Dindigul, Thiruvarur, Thiruvallur and Chennai.
- 100 Grammar books were distributed to Government school students in Thanjavur and Tirupur districts in the month of October 2015.
- 260 students from the Oxford Primary School, MMDA, Chennai received notebooks from Nanmai. These students suffered the adverse impact of the Chennai floods and had lost their school stationery during the same.
- Mini libraries were setup in the Kothambadi and Attur Government schools and Kamalalayam home, Vazhappadi in June 2015.
- In October 2015, additional mini libraries were setup in:
- Govt. High School, Pallur, Vellore District.
- Govt. Hr. Sec. School, Thakati, Krishnagiri District.
- Govt. High School, Palavadi, Dharmapuri District.
- Govt. Hr. Sec. School, Ramapuram, Cuddalore District.
- Govt. High School, Kuppanatham, Thiruvannamalai District.
- In the month of September 2015, Kamalalayam Children home at Vazhappadi received four used desktops from TCS as part of the company’s computer donation scheme.
Student Engagement Activities
- To commemorate Swami Vivekanandar and Mahakavi Bharathiyar birthdays, Essay, Oratory and Quiz competitions were conducted in 15 schools across Karur and Salem districts. Certificates and gifts were provided to 199 students who secured first three places in the competitions.
- To commemorate Gandhi Jayanthi, Essay, Oratory and Quiz competitions were conducted in 30 schools across Vellore, Cuddalore,Erode,Salem,Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri districts. Certificates and gifts were provided to 513 students who secured first three places in the competition.
29 girls and 9 boys benefited from this year’s scholarship program. The students belong to the following colleges.
- Sri Sakthi Kailash College of Arts & Science, Salem
- Sri Santhoshi College of Arts & Science, Maduranthagam
- Jaya College of Arts & Science, Thiruvallur
- Sri Devi Arts & Science College, Thiruvallur
- Thiruvalluvar College of Arts & Science, Cuddalore
- Aries College of Arts & Science, Cuddalore
Team Nanmai distributed school uniforms to students from various Government schools.
- This year saw 371 boys and 288 girls from 9th to 11th standards of government schools from Dharmapuri, Pudhukkottai, Vellore, Cuddalore, Salem, Nagapattinam, Thiruvannamalai, Perambalur and Thiruvallur districts benefit from this initiative conducted in July 2015.
- Nov 2015 saw another similar activity for 101 students from 9 th and 11th standards in 8 Government schools across Thiruvallur, Vellore, Perambalur and Ariyalur districts.
Education Support – 2015
- 14,000 notebooks distributed to 1700 students in 10 districts during 2nd and 3rd week of June.
- Notebooks were printed in Salem and distributed with the help of local point of contacts in various schools at each district.
- X and XII Std students were the beneficiaries of this program.
- Kamalalayam Children Home at Ponnarampatti village, Vazhappadi.
- Govt. School in Kothambadi village, Salem District.
- If you have books to donate in Categories like Biographies, Moral stories, Self improvement, Scientific Inventions, Books by Scientists, Leaders, Tamil poets etc., please reach out to Nanmai team at 91765 71836, 95513 39344 or 99522 05316.
- During July, school uniform was distributed to 371 boys and 288 girls studying in IX and XI standardsacross Cuddalore, Dharmapuri, Nagapattinam, Perambalur, Pudhukkottai, Salem, Thiruvallur, Thiruvannamalai and Vellore districts.
Education Support – 2014
Education Scholarship Program
- Team Nanmai has provided scholarship to a total of 72 economically challenged students this year. These students hail from a mix of schools, arts & science colleges and from engineering colleges across Tamilnadu.
- Scholarship distribution programs were conducted this year at Santhoshi College on 11th July and Attur in June.
- 110 students from the following schools received Notebooks in June.
- Govt. High School, Ramanaicken Palayam
- Govt. High School, Kalpaganur
- Govt. High School, Sokkanadhapuram
- Govt. Boys Hr. Sec School, Pethanayakkam Palayam
- Govt. Girls Hr. Sec School, Pethanayakkam Palayam
- Govt. Boys Hr. Sec School, Attur
- Govt. Girls Hr. Sec School, Attur
- 20 students from the Govt. school in Thondi, Ramanathapuram received school uniforms in August.
- Five visually challenged students received Audio box on 26th May.
Education Support – 2013
Education Scholarship Program
- Team Nanmai has provided scholarship to a total of 110 economically challenged students. These students hail from 4 schools, 10 arts & science colleges and from 11 engineering colleges across Tamil Nadu.
- Notebooks & Stationeries were provided to 179 school students.
- In Jan 2013, Team Nanmai conducted Essay, Oratory and Quiz competitions in 10 Govt. schools in Madurantagam and Attur areas.
- More than 500 school students participated in various competitions and the winners were awarded with many prizes and certificates.
- Team Nanmai has provided desks and benches to couple of under developed Government schools listed below.
- Govt. Middle School, Neyyamalai
- Govt. Middle School, Pagadapattu
Team Nanmai also provided school uniform to 110 students in the following Govt. schools
- Govt.High School, Ramanaickan palayam
- Govt. Middle School, Chandrapillai valasu
- Govt. Middle School, Segadi patti
- Govt. Middle School, Vellala patti
- Kamalalayam home
Education Support – 2012
Educational Scholarship Program
- Team Nanmai has provided scholarship to a total of 107 students from the various economically challenged families.
- The supported students are from 14 schools, 13 arts & science colleges and from 18 engineering colleges across Tamil Nadu.
Education Support – 2010
- Team Nanmai has provided mats, chairs, glasses & plates for a “Paalvadi” (Toddler day care) in Manavaalan Nagar, Vellari Thaangal, Thiruvallur district.
- Our team has also provided 100 dictionaries to the students in studying in government schools in Salem, Tiruvallur & Tirunelveli districts and also tables and desks for a Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Saligramam, Chennai.
Education Support – 2009
- Team Nanmai has provided scholarship to 25 economically backward students of which 12 were from rural areas and 3 were visually challenged.
|Academic Year||No. of Students Benefited|
|2017 - 2016||90|
|2015 - 2016||42|
|2014 - 2015||22|
|2013 - 2014||72|
|2012 - 2013||100|
|2011 - 2012||107|
|2010 – 2011||25|
|2009 – 2010||25|
|2008 – 2009||7|
|2007 – 2008||18|
|2006 – 2007||23|
|2005 – 2006||10|